Monday, December 3, 2012

C25K Week Four

Today was the start of the C25K program's week four.

My Vibrams are going strong. My toes seem a little sore from being stretched apart, but the arches of my feet aren't hurting like they were in other shoes. Even with that slight soreness, which will probably go away as I keep at it, they're worlds better than anything else I've used so far.

My calves are starting to get some serious soreness after running, and I assume this is a good thing. I'm pushing past my comfort level regularly now. Each morning I go out I think 'just 10 more minutes' of sleep, but T.A.R.D.I.S. refuses to let me just roll over and go back to bed. Once the alarm goes off, he now fully expects and demands his morning run. I need all the motivation I can get, so... I get up with him.

This has really been a great training experience for him, too. We are training to compete in Agility, and he has a ways to go - but this has been tremendously useful in getting him conditioned, and training him to run along side me both on the right and the left.

Last week, I saw that there were two rounds of running 3 minutes. I kept thinking 'I can't do this, I can't do this, it's too long'. Somehow, I did it.

This week, I saw that I was to run two 3 minute rounds, and two 5 minute rounds. I was getting dressed and again thinking, 'I can't do this, I can't do this, it's too long'. But I kept getting dressed. I kept telling myself I couldn't do it, but I was up, I was dressed. My headphones were in, Pandora had been started. Runtastic was on. C25K app was on.

Then I just thought, 'well it starts with a 5 minute walk. I can walk 5 minutes'. So I did.

Then the app chimed, and it was time to run. I didn't look at the timer - I knew it would be 3 minutes, but looking at a clock makes time drag. So I just jogged. And I didn't quit until the app chimed again, telling me it was time to walk.

I never looked at the phone. I never looked at the time. I just listened to my music, listened for the chimes, and ran.

28 minutes went by, and the phone chimed again to tell me I was done. I was sweaty and out of breath, my calves and ankles hurt, but I was done.

And I thought, 'well, I guess I could do it'.

No comments:

Post a Comment