Monday, November 12, 2012

C25K

On January 13, I'm embarking on the Color Run. There is 10 weeks between then and now - JUST enough time to get through the Couch to 5K Program.

Basically, it's a program to help your body get used to running, gradually, by using interval trainings. This week, I'm doing a 5 minute warm up, then for 20 minutes I'm alternating 60 seconds of jogging and 2 minutes of walking. I will do this Wednesday and Friday as well.

The rest days are important, too. I will still get up and go for a walk (my dog needs it, and I don't want to break the habit) but I will not run. I need the rest for my body. At the end of the program, I should be able to run the 5K in about 30 minutes.

So this morning, I got up. I skipped the scale (It's shark week, and no need to stress out when I know my weight goes up during this), put on some running clothes, grabbed a hoodie, my phone, and my dog, and pulled out my old Nike Frees.

I have had a lot of issues with running shoes, but I'm not about to run around my neighborhood without shoes. I'm too worried about glass and at least the Frees are a fairly minimal shoe.

My husband was supposed to go with me, but he wouldn't get out of bed. I considered just sleeping in, but I dont' have time to waste. I have to get going.

So, I turned on Pandora to a dubstep station to get me pumped. I used the C25K app on my phone to give me all of the correct timers. I leashed the dog, and off we went. I followed the timers to the letter.

At first it wasn't so bad! One minute of jogging... I got this! Maybe after the third or fourth interval, however... my feet started to hurt from the shoes, and worse still - my ankle was giving me fits. It's still swollen from when I sprained it, and if I use it too much it starts to really protest. I don't want to over do it, but I did push through the rest of today. For future practices, I'm going to be wrapping it up tightly in some KT tape to help it heal, which I'm told could possibly be never - if the sprain was bad enough.

At the end of the 20 minutes of intervals, coming into the cool down, I was limping a bit - and exhausted. I was a sweaty mess, and even my dog was lagging behind me.

I think I've learned that I'm sufficiently lacking in cardio, and I have a long way to go.

I have a goal, I have a plan to get there, and I have a deadline.


No comments:

Post a Comment