Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A New PR*!

Yesterday was pretty exciting - it was a Max Rep WOD*. I love the Max Rep days, because it's when I see the most improvement - and I am such a sucker for progress.

Yesterday's Max Rep was for a Power Clean. My previous max was 85 lbs - which isn't half bad. Before that it was 65 lbs, and that wasn't too bad either. I spent all day thinking about it. What should my goal be?

I set the bar high - I wanted a 115 lb Power Clean. That would be 57% of my body weight!

After work I went home to change clothes, and the post office decided that yesterday was my day - because they delivered one of my gifts early:


I put those bad boys on - and I was PUMPED! Off to CrossFit I go!

We had ten minutes to reach our Max Rep, so I started light - at 65 lbs. I knew I could lift it, but I didn't think it was a good idea to load up the bar right away. After three reps (and it was easy!), I bumped it up to 85 lbs. Two reps, and I upped again to 95 lbs. That's where it started to get difficult... but at this point, I've already reached a new max! Anything else is just icing on the cake!

I went up to 105. It was a struggle, but I got it up.

Up to 115... and unfortunately, no matter how hard I tried, I could not clean the bar up past my chest. I tried squatting underneath it, but I just could not get it up. I had 5 failed attempts before I realized it wasn't going to happen.

But hey - I got a new PR! 105 lbs! And that's still 52% of my body weight. I didn't fail, I just aimed a little too high. Failure would have been not showing up, or not even trying. I tried - I gave it everything I could. I didn't come up short at all - I increased my max by 20 lbs. TWENTY POUNDS. A 23% increase isn't too shabby!

Following that, we had a typical WOD -
For Time:
21 Burpees
20 Box Jumps (16”)
15 Burpees
20 Box Jumps (16”)
9 Burpees
20 Box Jumps (16”)
Although the RX calls for a 20 inch box, I still can't quite get up there. I don't doubt that I can physically do it - but I hurt myself pretty badly falling off a box a few months ago, and I can't shake the fear just yet. I'm working on a smaller height and trying to work up for now - but eventually I'll be jumping up on that box like it's nobody's business!


* PR = Personal Record
*WOD = Workout of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment