Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I Am Wonder Woman


My socks arrived yesterday. I put them on today and I felt... awesome. You're laughing at me because I'm making a big deal of socks now, aren't you?

As bad as I can be to myself when I'm having my depressive days, when I'm manic, I'm Wonder Woman.

I can do anything. I pulled on these socks and looked in the mirror. And yeah, I'm wearing Bermuda shorts because I don't want to experience chub rub when I run. And I still wear baggy t-shirts and I rock a really sloppy pony tail at the gym. It's probably... not the most attractive outfit.

But who cares? I'm going to the gym. I'm going get sweaty and gross and peel off my clothes and toss them into a gym bag. I'm not at the gym to pick up guys.

So I'm pulling on my Wonder Woman socks, and I'm checking out the capes in the mirror (which unfortunately, you can't see in this photo). And I'm telling myself - you got this. You are Wonder Woman, see? Look at your socks. Now go and be awesome.

Having silly socks made me, I don't know... feel proud of myself. I knew I had awesome socks, and I knew I was going to be awesome this morning... and I really didn't give a damn about what anyone else thought.

There's a line that you've probably never heard me say - I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks.

And the truth is - I didn't. I showed up and there were girls smaller than me, better looking than me, and guys who were way stronger than me.

I won't win a fashion show at the gym and sometimes I look downright silly... and that's ok! Because I'm being myself (and I admit I do have a nerdy sense of fashion going on...), and I am awesome.

So I'm writing this today, after CrossFit when I'm at my highest. Maybe in the future I'll look back, when I'm having a bad day, and I'll remember to just go out and be awesome and not care.

Do what makes you happy. Wear silly socks. Wear a hat, wear glasses, wear your baggy jeans, your painted Converse, your silly shirts, your hand made clothes, and your Etsy jewelry.

Do what makes you feel awesome. For me, I just have to remember that my alter ego is Wonder Woman.

What did Wonder Woman accomplish today? Before 7 AM, she did:
5 Rounds for Time:10 Hang Cleans (65#)
10 Knees to Elbows
10 Push-Press (65#)
10 Sit-ups
What did you do this morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment