Monday, March 26, 2012

Maybe I was Born to Run

As important as it is to talk about things I excel at - I feel it's also important to share when I'm not so good at things.

Having inadequacies makes me human.

My major shortcoming lies in my cardio type activities - especially running.

For some reason, I have yet to really get a grasp on this. I try every morning at Crossfit to run in the warm ups - usually distances between 200 - 800 meters. After 6 months, I'm still coming up short!

I've managed to run the 800 meters once without stopping, but it hurt so bad. I've not been able to do it again,and I'm still struggling with the 400 meters.    

I attempted to run a 5K this weekend, and, I did not do nearly as well as I had hoped.

I was on the line of thinking that if I signed up for things, I would naturally want to train harder for them. And in a sense, it did.

However, it also meant that even though I had tried to train harder, I still wasn't ready for it. I still can't even come to close to running a 5K - and the embarrasement was pretty bad.

It took me 56 minutes to finish it - meaning I have roughly a 19 minute mile. To put it another way, it means I was barely going any faster than walking for any length of the race.

Then there was also pulling off the road to dry-heave for about 10 minutes. I'm not sure what caused this - although I'm suspecting it's my thyroid/iron medication. They tend to upset my stomach when it's empty.

I still got a medal at the end of the race, and I'm glad I completed it, but I'm so unhappy with my results.

There's nothing to be proud of - that may be my worst timing around the lake yet!

I really don't understand why I can't run. It's a combination of things - I become unable to breathe very fast, my back aches, and I get stitches in my side and sometimes nausea.

My plan was always 'run until you can't, then walk until you can' and repeat; but it doesn't seem like this plan is panning out for me very well.

I have a friend on Fitocracy who is working through the Couch to 5K program - and I'm wondering if this might benefit me as well? It certainly can't hurt to try - and if it works, it works.

It will mean trying to find yet even more time to exercise, but perhaps I'll take T.A.R.D.I.S. for a run with me and we can use the time not just to run, but to bond with each other and explore our neighborhood and city.

I want badly to be a runner, and I always get what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment