Friday, February 17, 2012

Good morning, Fran!

This morning, although I had planned on sleeping in (I stayed up a tad too late last night), my puppy decided to headbutt me in the face and tell me he needed to go out. Since I was up, I may as well head into Crossfit.

Arriving at 5:45 in the morning means I am still in a zombie, near vegitative state. I am no where near awake yet. In fact, I could easily curl up on the futon and go right back to sleep - but that's not why I'm there...

Our workouts always include a warm up - in today's case, the warm was as follows:

400 Meter Run (I opted for rowing instead)
25 Body Weight Squats
25 Push-ups (I am using my knees still, especially since I am still recovering from an injury)
25 Sit-ups
400 Meter Run (Again, I opted for rowing)

After the warm up, we proceeded to stretch - and this is about the time I actually start waking up.

Today's workout was Fran. While in general, every work out is a little different, there are a few workouts that have a set program, Fran being one of them.

Fran calls for 21 reps of Thrusters, and 21 Pull ups, followed by 15 reps of each, then 9 reps of each, done for time. For men, the RX on the weight is 95# and for women it is 65#.

In my case, while I can certainly lift the RX, I can not do it 45 times in a row - and definately not while I am still letting my left arm recover after my incident with a box jump.

I choose to lift a smaller bar with no weights - 35#. This allowed me to focus on form and speed and not injure myself furthur - which is just as important to me.

I also can not do a Pull up on my own just yet - I use a large rubber band to slip my foot into. I'm doing considerably better than I ever have before, and I'm sure in a short of amount of time I'll be eliminating the band all together.

For today's WOD, I was able to finish Fran with 35# at 11:48. I know I could have beaten it even faster, but on each of the Thrusters, fully extending my arm was causing a fair amount of pain, and I had a tendency to put the bar back down on occasion instead of blasting through it. I know there are people out there who can finish this in two or three minutes, but I'm not there yet.

I'm working at it though - September 26th was the last time I attempted Fran, and I finished with 35# weight in 12:18. I shaved 30 seconds off my time, even with my arm not fully recovered.

I'm glad I record all of my workout times and weights - it gives me a progress bar to watch other than the Scale or my waist line.

No comments:

Post a Comment